Does Vanilla work well for skin?
- We have various Vanilla Skin Benefits, as the vanilla plant has the highest commercial value in the world after the saffron.
- Its methodical name is Vanilla Planifolia, and its actual name is Vanilla.
- The herb belongs to the Orchidaceae (orchid) family and can be cultivated in many tropical countries.
- Its homeland is the islands of Mexico, Java, West Indies, and Madagascar.
- We use this plant as an incense by the Mexican natives in ancient times, and it has become a valuable nutrient.
- Around 150 known species globally, and the types of vanilla marketed are Bourbon vanilla, Tahiti, and Indian vanilla.
Skin Benefits of Vanilla
- You may find this surprising. The benefits of vanilla extract or essence to expand your skin as well.
- We use it as an ingredient in several skincare products such as body lotions, lip balms, body butter, and fragrance imparting creams.
1. Acne treatment
- The antibacterial and antiseptic properties of vanilla make it beneficial for the treatment of acne.
- Through its antibacterial effects, Vanillin helps cleanse your skin, reducing the appearance of pimples and acne.
2. Anti-Ageing benefits
- Vanilla is rich in antioxidants, which fights and reverse skin damage caused by free radicals.
- It helps slow down the signs of ageing like fine lines, wrinkles, and age spots.
- We use it in the cosmetics industry for its fragrance and anti-ageing.
- The application of the raw vanilla pods infused with the organic oil imparts a great chocolatey scent besides making the skin smooth and soft.
3. Soothes Burns
- Vanilla has been used as a traditional home remedy to heal burns, wounds, injuries, and cuts.
- Concentrated vanilla extracts or oil should not be applied directly to recent burns.
- Topical treatments containing vanilla oil extracts might be helpful.
- It is better to consult the doctor before using such home remedies for burns.
4. Promotes healthy skin
- Vanilla is a good source of B vitamins like niacin, thiamine, vitamin B6, and pantothenic acid, which has an essential role in maintaining healthy skin.
- The properties of vanilla protect the skin from damage caused by pollutants and toxins (5).
- You can prepare a fine scrub to revive your skin from the inside out.
- All we need to do is slice open 4-5 vanilla pods to scrape its seeds.
- Add these seeds and 3 tablespoons of brown sugar, and 2 drops of vanilla essential oil to squeeze lemon juice.
- Mixing up all the ingredients and apply it to your face.
- Massage for a few minutes then rinses off with lukewarm water.
- Then, you can wash your face with some cold water.
How to choose vanilla and how to store it?
- It is not always easy to know how to choose the right vanilla pods.
- First of all, know that they must above all be very shiny, without being shiny either.
- The pod should be rather dark or even black.
- It must not contain traces of mould or too many stains.
- You will certainly recognize the producers’ markings on the pod, which is perfectly normal and guaranteed quality.
- It must also be flexible and must be able to handle without breaking.
- If it is dry, it is better to avoid choosing it.
- The pod must not give off any smell of fermentation or alcohol; it must simply smell of vanilla!
- As for the size, know that the larger the pod, the better it will be.